The Poltava secluded monastery in honor of the Exaltation of the Holy and Life-Giving Cross of the Lord was founded in 1650 on the occasion of the tent of the first victories of Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky’s arms over the Poles. In May 1709, the monastery became the residence of the Swedish monarch Charles XII. According to some local historians, it was on the monastery hill that the king was seriously wounded in the leg on the eve of the Battle of Poltava at dawn on June 17, 1709.
The Cathedral of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross of the Poltava Monastery is the only surviving church in Left-Bank Ukraine that has seven cylindrical baths.
Ioan Shannkhaiskiy holy relics are kept in the monastery.