Poltava Fortress, which played a significant role in the Northern War of 1700-1721, was built in 1608 by the Cossacks of the Myrhorod Regiment under the leadership of Polish Hetman Stanislaw Zholkewski on the site of ancient Russian Ltava.
Later, after the conclusion of the Treaty of Pereyaslav, in 1656 the fortress was repaired under the leadership of Poltava Colonel Martin Pushkar. But in the summer of the same year, Poltava was destroyed by the troops of the insurgent Hetman Ivan Vyhovsky. The strategic location of Poltava necessitated its urgent restoration. Therefore, the fortress was quickly rebuilt.
To the 300th anniversary of the Battle of Poltava, the project of the author of these lines (with the participation of architect K. Tregubov) on the historic site carried out a full-scale reconstruction of a fragment of the Poltava fortress of the XVIII century - a wooden Podil tower.
The tower is built of wood according to sketches of the XVIII century, height - 8 meters.